Presentation 1: Race and Racism
This assignment is the first of three papers that you will complete for this course. Each paper focuses on specific course competencies to allow you to demonstrate your growing understanding of key areas of competency in this course. This first paper addresses three course competencies:
- Competency 2: Analyze the influence of culture on attitudes, values, perception, human behavior, and interpersonal relations.
- Competency 4: Explain how staying abreast with contemporary cultural diversity issues and research will improve the delivery of public safety.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the public safety and emergency management professions.
Your paper must demonstrate clear knowledge of the subject matter of the week's readings; however, you should not simply summarize them. This is your opportunity to show that you can build knowledge by incorporating research applications, critical thinking, personal experiences, and contemporary issues related to the topics covered during the past two weeks. All papers must be written in your own words. Refer to the specific assignment instructions and requirements below.
You are required to use references to support your perspectives. All citations and references should be in APA sixth edition style and formatting. Each assignment must be completed on time for full credit. Late assignments will be accepted at the discretion of the instructor, but will be penalized for being tardy.
Utilizing this unit's assigned readings and three self-identified research articles (two of which are from the Capella University Library), write a 5–7 page paper that explains how awareness of diversity and multicultural issues is a necessary consideration in public service practices. Your paper should be focused on the salient issues of the assigned readings and include well-developed arguments to support your position.
In your paper:
- Analyze the influence of culture on attitudes, values, perception, human behavior, and interpersonal relations.
- Analyze the discriminatory factors that promote societal, political, socioeconomic, and spiritual oppression of culturally diverse populations.
- Examine racial and cultural diversity within non-native English-speaking communities.
- Analyze how current research may positively impact the delivery of public safety and enhance the evaluation of information and resources.
- Evaluate the reliability and credibility of the chosen research articles and support your position.
- Font: 12 point Times or Times New Roman, double-spaced.
- Writing: Writing should be clear, organized, and free of errors; it should also follow professional standards.
- Research: At least three academic sources beyond articles or the text used in the course.
- Length: 5–7 pages (not including cover page or reference page).
- Format: Follow APA sixth edition style and formatting requirements.
- Elements of Paper: Include the following elements in your papers. Consult the Elements of an APA Essay section of the Writing Center's APA Style and Formatting page for details.
- Cover page.
- Running head.
- Page numbers.
- Abstract or introduction.