Efficiency and Effectiveness
As you continue in your fairly new position as Sheriff, you realize the organization has developed a rather unfavorable reputation for inefficiency, ineffectiveness, and even corruption. You are determined to improve the organization's performance.
Prepare a 2- to 3-page report in Microsoft Word that will address these issues. Your report should cover the following points:
Begin your report by:
- Explaining the concepts of efficiency and effectiveness. Is it possible for an agency to exhibit one but not the other?
- What political consequences might result from an unfavorable opinion of your department?
- Describe how the Sheriff's department would measure efficiency and effectiveness.
- Are the methods of measurement likely to be the same in other criminal justice agencies?
- Define corruption and discuss how the managers and Sheriff can guard against it.
In addition to the above, one of the biggest issues that a Sheriff or Police Chief will have to deal with is an officer's involvement with violence. This could be in the form of excessive force during an arrest, domestic violence at home, or even suicide. You recall that in your studies you reviewed an article in the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) Law Enforcement Bulletin entitled "Early Detection of the Problem Officer" (2005, July). Use the South University Online Library to locate this article.
In your report mentioned above, include on 2- to 3-page Microsoft Word document, a memo to the five commanders in your Sheriff's Department, instructing them to implement an "early-warning" system for intervening with at-risk officers. Your message should include:
- An explanation of the need for such a system.
- A discussion of warning signs to be on the lookout for, including identifying which behaviors most often indicate problems.
- Procedures for how to respond when these warning signs are noticed.
- Identify potential obstacles, objections, or political concerns to be overcome in order for your plan to be successful.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.