Answer the following questions and also the 4 questions on page 11 of the attached Ch. 12 PDF, in the Ethics in Practice Case "Double Irish Strategy" You should recognize that your answers to these discussion questions should be well reasoned and supported with evidence. Make certain that you use chapter material and theory as the basis for your answers. No outside material. All work must be original as this will be submitted through Turnitin. No plagiarism.
*****DUE IN 10 HOURS. NO LATER THAN 10PM PST ****
1. Briefly explain how business and government represent a clash of ethical systems (belief systems).
With which do you find yourself identifying most? Explain. With which would most business
students identify? Explain.
2. Explain why the public is included as a separate group in the interactions among business,
government, and the public. Doesn’t government represent the public’s interests? How should the
public’s interests be manifested?
3. What is regulation? Why does government see a need to regulate? Differentiate between economic
and social regulation. What social regulations do you think are most important, and why? What
social regulations ought to be eliminated? Explain.
4. Outline the major benefits and costs of government regulation. In general, do you think the benefits
of government regulation exceed the costs? In what areas, if any, do you think the costs exceed the
5. What are the trade-offs between privatization and federalization? When would one or the other be
more appropriate? What problems might you foresee and what future events would merit a shift in
the current mix?
6. Explain lobbying in your own words. Describe the different levels at which lobbying takes place.
Why do you think there is a lack of unity among the umbrella organizations?
7. What is a PAC? What are the major arguments in favor of PACs? What are the major types of
PACs and how do they differ? In your opinion, are PACs a good way for business to influence the
public policy process? What changes would you recommend for PACs?
8. Discuss Citizens United and Speechnow and their likely effect on future elections. What, if any,
reforms would you recommend?
9. What does corporate accountability mean to you? How important is corporate political
10. What are the limits of corporate political strategy? Are there lines that companies should not cross?
If so, what are they?