Assignment 1: Health Policy and Law Basics
Due Week 3 and worth 150
As a chief operating officer of a hospital, you have been tasked
with opening a new ambulatory care center in your city.
Write a two to
three (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Specify whether you would
utilize the professional autonomy, social contract, or free market perspective
as the paradigm to design the structure of your new center. Debate at least two
(2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages of your chosen perspective. Provide at
least two (2) examples of your perspective in action to support your
2. Analyze the key components of three (3) sources of law
related to the effects that each source could potentially have on your
healthcare organization’s new initiative.
3. Use at least two (2)
quality peer-reviewed outside references. Your text should be your third
reference. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic
Your assignment must follow these formatting
• Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size
12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow
APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
• Include a cover page containing the title of the
assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the
date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required
assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated
with this assignment are:
• Describe the evolution of hospitals and
sources of law.
• Examine tort law and the criminal aspects of health
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in
healthcare policy and law.
• Write clearly and concisely about healthcare
policy and law using proper writing mechanics.