Application: Assessing Your Professional Development
What does it mean to be a professional? This week, five accomplished individuals with various backgrounds and positions in the field shared a deeply felt commitment to young children, their families, and the early childhood field. Each affirmed that it takes time to grow and mature professionally and the journey is well worthwhile.
For this assignment, you will assess the ways in which you are progressing on your path of professional development. Use this as an opportunity to consider the ways in which you have already grown and need to continue to grow.
With this in mind:
- Download and review the following document: Assessing Your Professional Development
- Read and reflect on the 10 professional dispositions.
- Rate yourself for each. (Remember, your "score" is not important. What is important is your commitment to becoming a lifelong learner and to deepening your understanding of yourself, your profession, and your professional path.)
Write a paper that addresses the following:
- Identify two of your strengths and briefly discuss how each contributes to your growth as an early childhood professional.
- Identify two areas in which you would like to develop further, and describe how you plan to grow.
Assignment length: approximately 1-2 pages