MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF ENLISH AND LANGUAGE ARTS
ENGL 101.062/067/065 – College English Composition I November 15, 2016
Lecturer: J. A. Fields, M.L.S., M.A. Fall 2016
The Extended Definition Essay
Due: Thursday, November 17, 2016, at the End of Class in the Library!
Formatting and Subject/Content Issues:
Your Extended Definition Essay must dwell upon some ABSTRACT aspect of the President-Elect Donald J. Trump Triumphant Win on Election Day Last Week.
DO NOT TELL A STORY IN THIS ESSAY;
PLEASE SUSTAIN DEFINING YOUR ABSTRACT TERM/PHRASE FOR FIVE PARAGRAPHS.
1) Essays are to be typed on a word processor. Hand paper to Instructor at the end of Thursday’s class period…not Office Hours. Late papers will be penalized!
2) The required paper size is 8.5 x 11 inches. The acceptable font sizes are Times New Roman, 12 point, or, Calibri, 11 point. Please use black ink for your text.
3) The essay should be double-spaced without additional line spacing between paragraphs.
4) The first page should have a heading consisting of the student’s name, the instructor’s name, the course and section number, the date, and the assignment. The heading must be in the upper left corner on the first page only. Additionally, the student’s last name and the page number should appear in the upper right corner. Use a header for this and choose PRINTER #! in the lab as Printer #2 tends to out off the top portion of students’ papers.
5) Again, each page should have its number in the upper right corner area along with the student’s last name. This includes the first page.
6) The title of the essay, either direct or indirect, should be centered on the first page. The title must be written correctly, without underlining, without quotation marks, and with the correct capitalization.
7) Please eliminate any “widows” or “orphans” which might appear in your work.
8) The essay’s word count should be between 800-1000 words. Please insert the word count of your essay at the bottom left of your last page.
9) Upload your paper to Blackboard’s Safe/Assign to ensure student paper originality.
10) You have been presented with three sample Extended Definition Essays (in class and uploaded to Blackboard) to guide your execution of this graded essay…the fourth one the class has completed.
11) Note: Students must submit all required essays to be a candidate for course success. Thus, if you owe me an essay, you WILL NOT pass this course until I receive any outstanding (that is, un-completed) course essays.
12) Gentle Reminder: If this essay is not submitted to me at the end of the class hour on Thursday, it will be deemed late and marked down. DO NOT wait until Office Hours to submit this work!!!
13) Please ask if something is not clear to you.
14) Please attach this Instruction Sheet to your essay as you submit on Thursday!