3. A population of humans, isolated for centuries on an island in the Indian Ocean, exhibits the following phenotypes for pigmentation.
This form of albinism is caused by being homozygous recessive at a single locus.
4. Green swordtails are sexually dimorphic: males have a long, swordlike projection from their tails, and females have rounded tails.
An experimenter decides to perform a female choice experiment. He isolates unmated females with a choice of two mails, each from one of four groups of males.
1) Unmodified control males
2) A second group of males with tails cut off, and re-glued.
3) Males with shortened tails.
4) Males with lengthened tails.
- Imagine the researcher got the following data.
- Why might this be the case?
- Go online and research. List three studies of sexual selection, the organism, and their conclusions.
Chosen by female # vs group, for each trial. Trials were replicated 20 times
Trial Who the Female Chose
Group 1 vs. Group 2 Group 1- 10 Group 2- 10
Group 1 vs. Group 3 Group 1- 18 Group 3- 2
Group 1 vs. Group 4 Group 1- 6 Group 4- 14
Group 2 vs. Group 3 Group 2- 16 Group 3- 4
Group 2 vs. Group 4 Group 2- 6 Group 4- 14
Group 3 vs. Group 4 Group 3- 0 Group 4- 20
What might this data indicate, in terms of sexual selection?
5. Go to the following link and read the paper.
Write a two paragraph summary of what you learned from reading it.