1. Validity is the quality of the evidence we use when we make a claim. Therefore, validity is an inference and is not an all-or-nothing proposition (Messick, 1989) (Schreiber, & Asner-Self, 2011). The validity of conducted research is always brought into question. That is to say, if the data is not valid, neither is the research conclusions that arise from it. What measures do researchers take to ensure validity of data when conducting research?
2. Qualitative studies can focus on the why and how of human behavior (Burke, 2005). The approaches to qualitative research are interactive and non-interactive. Discuss each approach by comparing and contrasting them. Which approach would you use for what specific type of research and why?
3. Preparation & Course Learning Outcomes. Welcome to week 5 of your course. This discussion question will help you prepare for your CLA2 paper and final CLA2 PPP. Read the CLA2 assignment listed in week 8 of the course. Then, please provide an outline that itemizes the concepts that you will include in your CLA2 paper and final PPP. Please be sure to include concepts learned in the course and any information from your CLA1 paper if applicable. Provide some brief details for each item that is outlined. Please keep in mind that you should have place-holders for material not yet covered in lecture from week's 6 and 7.
4. Companies spend thousands of dollars to purchase, create, or develop digital dashboards that are used by executives and supervisors that enable them to get a quick "descriptive” look, a snapshot as it were, of what is happening in the vital parts of the organization. While descriptive statistics can represent numerical data, it can be highly graphical as is the case with digital dashboards. Discuss the relevance of being able to graphically represent data in real-time to managers, and explain how statistics is used in the process.
5. Discuss the concepts of variability (dispersion), range, mode, median value, average (mean), and standard deviation. Give an example that incorporates some of these concepts while conducting research. What effects do they have on the research?
All 5 questions above 3 pages’ in total
6. Students should choose one of the two prompts below and submit a 4 paper in response.
Kraft will split off its global snack business this year, naming it Mondelez International. The name came from a massive name suggestion program from Kraft employees, involving more than 1,700 names by more than 1,000 Kraft employees over a five-month process. The name plays on the connotation of "delicious world.” How would you design this process to ensure that viable names were produced? Prepare your research study in a 2 page APA formatted paper.
You are working for a retail chain-store that sells durable goods, such as washers, dryers, TV's, etc. There has been a steady decrease in sales of some products, while other product sales have increased. Using concepts presented in the textbook and other online resources, design a research study (chapter 7) that will provide insight as to what is occurring. Keep in mind that some of the data you will collect may be qualitative (chapter 8) in nature. What type of analysis techniques (chapter 9) will you employ and why?
Course info: BUS 770 Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis
Textbook info: Schreiber, J. (2011). Educational Research. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 978-0-470-13910-3