I need 2 slides with speaker notes ( power point) only the first two questions
- The issues, challenges, and opportunities experienced by this group in the labor force
- How society has constructed this group's identity
Here is the outline
Equal Rights Proposition: Outline
Equality for Standing Rock
- Introduction- Cultural diversity causes issues within our societies that should be overlooked for the greater good of the world in chich we live. Accepting our cultural differences is difficult for the majority of the global population and has been an issue for centuries. This is evident from the treatment of Native Americans by the first colonist to a more current treatment of Native Americans and their land by large companies.
- The United States as a young nation has evolved with many companies and technology, specifically the oil enterprises in the effort to supply the countries with an energy source. This effort has bred conflict with the rights of Native American nations and landowners, in areas where pipelines are be constructed. Negative reactions result in major disagreements leading to legal action being taken from both sides.
- The Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989 and the most current Deep Water Horizon catastrophe have been the most ecologically damaging ever. These spills and leaks are what concerns the citizens of the regions these pipes are to be laid. Not knowing the full consequences of our current actions and how they might affect the future, in effect disrespecting the views of the Native American people. The differences found among cultures should not be considered as a weakness in groups, but as strengths within the whole.
- Issues surrounding Standing Rock- The Standing Rock Sioux, a Native nation, whose wellspring of drinking water, is planned to be crossed multiple times by the pipeline, recorded a claim to development.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline is a 1,172-mile course slated to convey unrefined petroleum from North Dakota to southern Illinois when it's finished before the current year's over. It is being built by the Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners and has been designed to transport the equivalent to 570,000 barrels of oil from North Dakota to Illinois.
- Furthermore, the pipeline could be a key parameter in the operation of the state's Bakken Shale, which currently produces billions of gallons of crude oil.
- Their primary concern is that the pipeline will travel under the Missouri River that they use as a source of water, and they are therefore worried about the consequences that potential crude oil leaks will have on the river.
- Objectively analyzing this, there is indeed a high risk that the main water supply could become contaminated by the oil if we consider that the Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA) more than 3000 leaks and rupture accidents have been reported in this decade.
- The Legal Frame- There are many legal issues related to the construction of this pipeline.
- A federal judge ruled for in an injunction to halt the construction saying that it destroys sacred burial grounds and the possibility of threatening a water supply. These legal hold ups are for precautionary measures to make sure no environmental laws are in danger of being broken.
- For those in opposition, this is where suits are filed on behalf of both parties and additionally that no cost have to be incurred on the public. If one way does not work, there is a process of sound checks and balances to assure no one's rights are violated.
- Also, the group can file paperwork with different divisions of government like the Department of Justice who makes sure no Indian land is being destroyed (Oil pipeline: The legal challenges and protests, 2016).
- Proposed solutions-
- There is currently a lawsuit against the Army Corps of Engineers in court and Native Americans from different tribe’s rally in support because it could be them also.
- The National Historic Preservation Act possibly can show that the pipeline violates protection laws and hopefully will prove to get the construction rerouted. With these suits in the system, it will stall the moving forward of development in the courts with legal language until maybe late 2017.
- The Environmental Protection Agency was not as prevalent many years ago and didn’t have to worry about depths of pipes and crossing waterways (Standing Rock Dispute Presents Issues Unique to Indian Country, 2016). Then, the impact of removing fossil fuels from the soil and the impact on climate change to help with solutions for the pipeline path.
- Not just in the US-
- Afghanistan- The United States has promoted the TAPI pipeline, through Afghanistan, since the 1990s. Two consortia vied for the right to take on the project, one led by Unocal (an American firm) and the other by Bridas (an Argentinean firm). Interim President Karzai met with President Musharraf in Islamabad in February 2002, to discuss the proposed pipeline. At this time they finally announced their agreement to cooperate on the project.
- The Nord Stream pipeline between Russia and Germany has created mass controversy in Europe, surrounding three major areas. The political concern is about the implications of bypassing states like Poland and the Baltic countries, dependency on Russia, and the environmental concerns as the routes go through the Exclusive Economic Zones of Finland, Sweden, and Denmark (Fine-Kaper Consulting. 2006).
- VII.Team Insight (Conclusion)- The issues that we find in the conflict surrounding the Keystone XL pipeline and the use of land is widespread. People from across the globe have come to stand up to the big oil companies. These issues are not limited to just our nation but the entire world. We find that people just are not being heard, business interest and even personal interests are put above the importance of working together and allowing concerns and opinions to be heard without a prejudice ear. When many groups work together and function smoothly despite their differences, many great things can happen. It is because of this that we believe there will come a solution that will satisfy the needs of business but also adequately address the concerns of the people it may affect.
- In September, challenges at the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation in North Dakota achieved a breaking point, with reports of savage assaults on nonconformists by security canines and various cases of macing.
- It should be noted that even while the Standing Rock Sioux tribe has rebutted the project since they first new about it in 2014, it was not until the last summer that protests got nationwide coverage when several thousands of protesters had gathered in North Dakota to block the construction of the pipeline. A further problem arises if we consider that we are now approaching the winter season, and still there are no visible signs that the fight will end soon.
i.Their solutions- No matter where we look in the world, someone or something is being affected by pipelines. Whether they are used for natural gas or crude oil, these pipelines are a major topic of controversy in many ways. With the growing need for the product and the hazards that come with it, the best proposal for these controversies has yet to be found. With ongoing meetings, research and discoveries, investigations, and legal conflicts arising from human rights and environmental issues, it becomes almost impossible to satisfy everyone with only one solution.
ii.Afghanistan must cooperate with it's neighboring countries to see the completion and success of the TAPI pipeline for the country to benefit economically. The Nord Stream pipeline has discussed building an undersea pipeline that could satisfy the needs and any concerns of many involved in this project, to include landowners.
Presentation Format- Team E has agreed to present our information in the form of a PowerPoint slideshow, with notes to elaborate on our findings. We have divided the requirements of this presentation equally among the team, with the understanding that, at any time, we can consult other team members for assistance on our part. Each member will be given the responsibility of creating the slides that correspond with the information that they will gather and research, to satisfy the requirements of the presentation following the outline that we have created.