I have a group project and for my part is power about a film called "Won’t Back Down & Children In America’s School’s" and here is a link for it, open it please and see it, so you can understand the assignment. So, as what I said my part is power: therefore, I need 1 page and a half or 2 pages about just power nothing else because this is my part for the group project. Also, I would like from you to do 2 or 3 slides of powerpoint about just power in the film so I can copy them and post them in the powerpoint for my group and thats will be my part. There is a small chart for Differences and Similarities that I would like you to fill it. And at the end there is a reflection questions, and thats it. Down below the instructor information.
- Personal Reactions
- Appendix: T-chart
- (Cover page) Title of Paper
- 1. What is a central theme evident about urban education? –
- 2. Identify and discuss one broader message underlying the theme you identified in #1 – support your arguments with either readings from class or outside references (e.g., if the theme is student learning and success in life then a broader message may be why poverty matters, or not, for the issue. If the theme is student motivation or empowerment then a broader message may be how schools are structured for learning either through power relationships, the curriculum (is it developmentally appropriate, meaningful, and/or culturally relevant), or assessment (e.g., teaching to the test). If the theme is poverty, the message may be oppression and the social, economic and cultural structures that perpetuate poverty and lack of opportunity in school and society). Answer and include details from the film AND the documentary.
- 3. Do you believe that TV, Hollywood, and documentaries give a fair and realistic representation of urban schools? Why or why not? Answer and include details from the film AND the documentary.
- 4. What would your biography person have to say about the theme you identified in #1 as far as how to address the problems of urban education?
- 5. Write a conclusion that includes at least two changes or solutions that YOU recommend for urban education. Support your arguments with 1) why these changes or solutions are important and also 2) how they might be implemented and possible barriers that may be faced.)
- References APA
First for the Hollywood film and then for the documentary who has power? Who does not have power? How is power defined?
Each member of the group answers the following (be sure to include your name at the top of your responses):
-What was your initial personal reaction to the film?-to the documentary?
-What did you learn that surprised you?
-How might your perspectives and assumptions have changed about the issues surrounding urban schools after viewing the film and documentary?
Movie, documentary, 3 other sources
Develop and insert as an Appendix after your reference section a T-Chart that compares/contrasts the similarities and differences between the depictions. This should be a succinct brief summary of the “Nature of Depictions” section
APPENDIX: (Title: Similarities and Differences between (name of film) and (name of documentary)
This part of the paper requires you to go deeper and provide a critical analysis of a central theme that is portrayed in both the movie and the documentary. An example of a central theme may include poverty, race, gender, discrimination or the depiction of the teacher as the “hero.” You may use one of these themes or select a more relevant theme from your film and/or your documentary. Make sure you select a theme that directly links to issues concerning urban education to analyze. Your paper must be at least 6 to 8 pages long, double spaced, in APA format and should analyze the components listed below. Support your arguments (in-text citations of references) using at least three references (at least one reference must be new, i.e. not used in your group paper – no Wikipedia is allowed). You must also include the film and documentary you are analyzing in your reference section but (the film and documentary do not count as part of the three references). All references must be in APA and on a separate reference page at the end of the paper.
Template for Individual paper
Historical and Contemporary Perspectives
on America’s Urban Schools
IMPORTANT Answer these questions for your individual paper: (Please note: all of these section titles in bold can be used as your headings flush left.)
-Make a theme statement as a complete sentence.
-Explain it and give details from the film AND the documentary.
Biography Person’s Influence