PSY2012 – General PsychologyTerm Paper Assignment is due the last week of the term (please see my syllabus for the exact due date). You will need to submit your term paper by clicking on the "Term Paper" link located under Chapter 6 lesson right above the assignment description.
Term Paper Assignment: Exploration of a Professional Journal Article in Psychology
In the Palm Beach State/Florida Atlantic University Online Library, go to online academic database.
Please use the following link http://libguides.fau.edu/pbscto access academic journals.
Find a recent research article from a scholarly journal in the field of psychology. It must have been published less than 12 years ago. Be sure to select an article for which the full-text is available. Actual journals for which full-text is available include Advances in Cognitive Psychology, British Journal of Social Psychology, Journal of Positive Psychology, Issues in Forensic Psychology, Journal of Psychology, among many others.
Note: Do not use newspaper or magazine articles or Websites such as Wikipedia to complete this assignment. Visit Palm Beach State University’s guidelines against plagiarism.
Your selected article must meet all of the stated criteria or your assignment will not be accepted. Before proceeding, please ensure that your selected article meets the following criteria:
- Full-text is available in online database
- Is a scholarly journal article in the field of psychology
- Was published less than 12 years ago.
Get a sense of what the article is about by reading some key sections. Begin by reading the Abstract of the article. Subsequently, read the Introduction and the discussion sections. Flip through the paper and look at any figures or tables. Read as much of the paper as practical; get as much out of it as you can.
Write a paper of at least 2000 words in which you:
1. Identify your selected article, using a proper APA-style reference. See examples at the end of this assignment.
2. Describe what type of article it is and how you can tell. For example, is it a primarily a review of existing research, a report of new research, or an analysis of a professional issue? Describe how you can you tell. If it is a research article, identify the type of research involved.
- Summarize what you have learned about the content of the article. Be sure to include the main purpose of the article, the major findings, and how the major findings are supported.
- Explain how this article fits into the overall field of psychology. Then, identify the corresponding chapter(s) from your textbook.
- Explain why this article is different and similar from articles in non-scholarly periodicals, such as magazines and newspapers.
How to properly cite your article
Author list (Year of publication) Title of article. Name of Journal, Volume number, page numbers.