This academic blog is an opportunity to analyze a subculture using the theories and key terms found in the course material about culture and socialization.
Apply TWO of the sociological perspectives (functionalism, conflict, feminism or symbolic interactionism) to a subculture of your choice; also include two sociological terms from Chapters 3 & 4 that describe the socialization process of your subculture such as their use of language, value, norms, beliefs and material culture.
Hint: Make sure that the group you’ve chosen is in fact a subculture; and include definitions of the sociological perspectives and sociological terms presented in your academic blog.
The following must be included:
- Introduction: clearly identify what you have chosen to discuss.
- Body Paragraphs: each paragraph should contain discrete ideas.
- Conclusion: summarize your concluding thoughts about the topic, include a question and/or a reflection about what you have learned as a result of completing this project.
- Intext citations: You must provide citations of sources (i.e., course materials) when you draw on another's ideas or concepts, or if you quote any of those ideas. Please see Intext Citations: The Basics if you are not familiar with intext citations, what they are, and why you should be using them. Properly formatted, APA style citations (and a reference list) are required for this assignment.
- List of References: in addition to citations, you must provide a list of the work you cited in your response. Please see Reference List: Basic Rules if you are not familiar with how to organize your list of references.
- Respond to two (2) of the group members: this is your opportunity to respond to your peers about what they have chosen to share, about what interests you have in common or are dissimilar, or to ask questions. Be creative and inquisitive but not probing or offensive.
You CANNOT complete this project on bodybuiliding or bodybuilders. Feel free to reference any of the course material found in the lesson on Culture but you are not permitted to submit a response to this question if it discusses, as the main subject matter, bodybuilding or bodybuilders. If you choose to do so you will receive a zero (0) grade for this assignment.
Review the rubric, the grading guideline, to ensure you are meeting the expectations for this assignment.
When you are ready, follow the link below to the discussion forum and post your work.