This Unit 1 Discussion Board assignment has 3 parts.
When posting your questions, specify in the subject line whether your question pertains to the LabSim or to the Group Project activity.
Part 1: LabSim Description and Action Items
Click here to refer to the instructions for the unit 1 lab tasks.
Part 2: ITCO251 Group Project and Action Items
IT organizations depend on identifying teams of individuals to solve business problems and to implement solutions. Project management and team skills are essential in the modern IT landscape. Refer to the following to learn more about some of the statistics surrounding projects in organizations and why you will benefit from opportunities in this program to develop team skills.
There are many advantages to group projects. Very interesting and complex work can be divided between the team members. Team members are able to collaborate about the best solution. A solution can be created in a much shorter time frame. Team members learn different perspectives when solving problems. Team members also have the ability to develop communication and organizational skills, problem resolution skills, and many more. Refer to the following to learn more about reasons that developing team skills and learning to manage projects are highly desired by employers in IT today.
ITCO251 Group Project Overview
The details and phases of the group project are included in the following links. Review the overview and use the Discussion Board thread to pose any questions or comments related to the Group Project requirement for this course.
Teams will be assigned during the beginning of Unit 2. You will be assigned to a project-managed team. A project-managed team is one where you and your team members will be creating and following a specific plan and schedule. The final Group Project deliverable will be due in Unit 4. There will be activities completed during Units 2, 3, and 4. All activities will be conducted in the Small Group area.
Review the following to learn about developing valuable team skills.
Once team assignments have been made, contact other team members and start planning for team roles, team member responsibilities, break-out of tasks, and schedule for team contributions. Remember the following as you prepare to start working on this project. Contact your instructor with any questions.
- Allocate time and resources effectively and coordinate efforts with all affected parties
- Acknowledge team membership and role
- Identify the roles of each team member
- Encourage others to express their ideas and opinions
- Show sensitivity to the thoughts and opinions of other team members
- Respond appropriately to positive and negative feedback
- Identify and draw upon team members' strengths and weaknesses to achieve results
- Learn from other team members
- Establish productive relationships
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others
Use a group approach to identify problems and develop solutions based on group consensus
Review the following ITCO251 Group Project resources:
Part 3: ITCO251 Discussion Posting Action Items
Complete the following for the Discussion Board assignment:
- In conjunction with the completion of LabSim tasks (Part 1), discuss the following with the class:
- Explain which layers of the OSI Reference Model would be associated with configuring your TCP/IP network interface.
- Discuss how you would envision the different layers defined in the OSI Reference Model to interact.
- Share with the class any prior knowledge you might have had regarding OSI.
- Pose any questions regarding the use of LabSim.
- In conjunction with the group project (Part 2), discuss with the class the following:
- Describe your thoughts on team selection and team dynamics based on your review of the URLs offered in Part 2. What are the critical success factors in building a strong team and what are the individual traits that a team member must display to be a valued contributor to the team?
- Share your experiences working on teams in the past either on the job or working on special projects.
- Discuss whether your team experience improved your ability in some way (e.g., reaching consensus, project planning, conflict management, leadership, etc.).
- ITCO251 Group Project
- Summarize the tasks that you expect will be needed for this project to be successful.
- Describe how you anticipate contributing to this project? What would you like to achieve from this experience?
The following may be useful as you research and prepare for this discussion: