Module 5: School Health and STDS
Design a presentation for high school aged students discussing normative aging changes, sexuality, STDs and prevention.
- Discuss normal body changes that occur through puberty into young adulthood
- Discuss specific STDs, causes, symptoms, complications and treatment
- You should include a slide or two for each of the following: Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Herpes, HIV, Syphillis HPV
- Discuss pregnancy and prevention
The assignment should be submitted in PowerPoint format, with at least 13 content slides (in addition to a title slide and reference slide) and include at least two scholarly sources other than provided materials.
NOTES MUST be written for EACH slide except the title, objectives and reference slide. Be sure to properly format your PowerPoint presentation according to APA guidelines. Here is a link to review: https://youtu.be/xUDafR7TGZY
Points will be awarded for CORRECT APA formatting of a PowerPoint presentation and points will be DEDUCTED if the notes are omitted from EACH slide.
After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe the overall goals of local school health program
- Demonstrate understanding of role of school health nurse in promoting health and resolving health problems within the school setting
- Develop a plan to educate high school students about normative changes, sexuality and STD prevention
The role of the school health nurse is unique, not only as compared to other nursing roles but within itself.
Understanding the overall goals of a school health program will allow the school health nurse to function is an effective way to foster healthy school communities. Health promotion in the school setting can have long lasting impact on students. Recognition of existing health problems in the school setting will allow the nurse to plan and intervene for optimal health restoration within the school population.
Educating pre-teens and teens in a straightforward, manner about normative changes, sexuality and STDs is an important way to avoid future issues.
University Mission Goals:
- Exhibits self-directed learning that demonstrates professional behavior and ethics
- Functions successfully in multiple roles and teams showing cultural competence
- Demonstrates professional performance through research by using evidence-based practice
- Professional Behavior/Ethics: Develop a personal values system and value-based behaviors that include the capacity to make and act upon ethical judgments
- Cultural Competence: Recognize the need for evidence-based knowledge and sensitivity to variables such as age, gender, culture, health disparities, socioeconomic status, race, and spirituality
- Research and Evidence-Based Practice: Use research findings and other evidence in designing, implementing, and evaluating care that is multidimensional, high quality, cost-effective and leads to improved patient outcomes
- Predict trends in lifestyles that will affect the health of communities and the future challenges for nursing.
- Plan, analyze, implement and evaluate public health surveillance and outbreak investigation
AACN Baccalaureate Essentials:
- Clinical prevention and population health
IOM Core Competencies:
Preview YouTube video APA Formatting for PowerPoint: How to Apply APA Style to PowerPoint Presentations
APA Formatting for PowerPoint: How to Apply APA Style to PowerPoint Presentations