This week, you’ll assume the role of a Category Manager for the Beauty Products category at a national discount retail store.
WHAT IS A CATEGORY MANAGER?
STEP 1: PRODUCT LIFE CYCLE
Read the Product Report for Alikay Naturals Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo. The Product Report contains important information that will help you to identify where the product stands in the Product Life Cycle and give you clues about what changes customers might like to see.
Respond to Rochelle and her team at Alikay Naturals based on the information in the Product Report.
• Identify where Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo is currently positioned in the product life cycle.
Underline your selection:
Please describe the rationale for your position.
Step 2: Product Changes
Based on what you’ve learned:
STEP 3: NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
Read the New Product Proposal, which contains three examples of possible products that could be developed to replace Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo. Based on the information in this proposal and the customer feedback in the Product Report:
• If you had to recommend one product, which product would you recommend they create? Underline your selection:
• Organic Bloom Shampoo
• Moisturizing Black Soap Shampoo with Dandruff Control
• Coconut Protein Shampoo and Conditioner
Explain your decision. Provide examples of the customer feedback that informed your choice.
• Determine which type of innovation this represents from among the four main types discussed this week. Underline your selection:
• Sustainable (eco-friendly)
Briefly explain why you chose that type of innovation.
STEP 4: PRODUCTION METHODS
Based on the product you chose in Step 3:
• Determine which production method is most appropriate for the production of this product. Explain your decision.