Computer homework, basic level
Write a short answer for each question, being concise and articulate in your wording, e.g. 2 or 3 sentences.
1. Describe the three essential components of a computer that make up the von Neumann architecture. How do these components work together to produce a machine that can be programmed to complete different tasks.
2. Modern computers integrate several different types of memory, such as cache, RAM, hard disk, and flash drive. Why are different types of memory used, as opposed to the exclusive use of a particular technology? What would be the drawbacks, for example, of using only cache memory, or only a hard disk?
3. In what unit is CPU speed measured, and what does this measurement unit refer to? If one computer has a 2GHz Celeron processor and another has a 2GHz AMD Athlon processor, does that imply they will be able to execute the same program in the same amount of time? Explain.
4. Describe the difference between hardware and software, why are both necessary? Identify two examples of each.
5. Windows 7 is an example of an operating system as are MacOS and Linux. What are 3 main tasks the OS performs in controlling the computer’s resources and behaviors. Provide a short explanation of each.
6. Suppose you are shopping for a computer that you plan to use for organizing digital music and photography. Which would be a better use of your limited funds, a faster CPU or a larger hard drive? Why?
7. Paul Baran proposed two design ideas for the structure and behavior of the ARPAnet. Describe these design ideas and the benefits they provide.
8. Internet communications are defined by a set of protocols TCP and IP. What is the role of each protocol in transmitting and receiving information.