Studypool values your privacy. Only questions posted as Public are visible on our website.
answer the questions
Asked: Dec 9th, 2018
1. Based on current models, the world's current trajectory of carbon dioxide emission will result in between a 2ºC and 4ºC rise in average global temperature. What is the importance of this prediction?
a. Temperature changes of this size will cause an ice age.
b. A 4ºC increase in temperature increase the salt content of the ocean currents.
c. There is no importance as this change will definitively not matter.
d. Temperature changes of this size will likely cause increases in global sea levels.
2.A 84kg block of a material was heated by the addition of 456 kilojoules of energy. If the block was initially at 26ºC, what is its final temperature? The specific heat of the material is 900 J/(kg-ºC).
3. A high voltage power transmission line transmitting 100MW of electrical power is operating at a voltage of 288KV. If the line loses 843KW what is its resistance (give your answer in Ohms)?
4..Enhanced oil recovery extracts oil from a field through ______________.
a. use of advanced drill bits and high efficiency pumps to extract oil.
b.increased the natural pressure gradient in the field.
c.decreased natural pressure gradient in the field.
d.injection of a fluid that changes properties of the oil in the field.
5. As all warm bodies do, the earth emits low level thermal radiation. Upon interaction with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere this thermal energy _________________.
a. the energy gets absorbed and all is emitted into space.
b. initiates the formation of ozone, a major contributor to smog.
c. gets absorbed and and some is emitted back to the earth.
d. energy passes through the atmosphere and travels into space.
6. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. The major health impact of carbon monoxide is .....
a.acid deposition in soils
b.increased incidence of cancer in children
c. potential suffocation due to binding with hemoglobin
d.increased incidence of asthma in children
7. The maximum efficiency of a steam turbine cycle with a steam temperature of 511oC and a cooling water temperature of 28oC is (give your answer in %) ______________.
8. The units for power include ...... (check all that apply)
British Thermal Unit (BTU)
foot pound (ft-lb)
9.What is the major problem with using electricity as our main energy vector
d Electricity is difficult to produce at a large scale.
10. The electric grid consists of many interconnected parts which create a complex network. Which of the following parts is where electricity is delivered over long distances?