Stratification and Social Class

Jun 29th, 2015
Studypool Tutor
Academy of Art University
Price: $30 USD

Tutor description

Partly explain higher concentration of poverty in the cities by the greater number of foreign-born residents In New York City, one in five residents is poor

Word Count: 2262
Showing Page: 1/9
Urban Sociology - Test 3Chapter 10: Stratification and Social ClassSocial StratificationMarx - bourgeoisie v. proletariatWeber - class, status, powerSocioeconomic Status - ranking results from how many status symbols a person possesses Social Class DistinctionsUpper ClassOnly contains, at most, 5% of the total populationBaltzell - three stages of upper class movement1. Lived in downtown areas2. Shifted to quieter areas away from the downtown3. Moved out to the suburbsMiddle Class40% to 45% of the populationDepict the "American Dream"Working ClassAbout 1/3 of the populationLower Class20% of the total populationIncome Distribution NationwideThe top 20% earn 49.4% of all incomeThe gap has been steadily wideningIncomes Within and Outside CitiesThose living outside have higher incomesWealth and Net WealthWealth1. Marketable assets, such as real estate and other property, bank accounts, and stocks, bonds, and other securities2. Financial assets (all of the preceding minus owner-occupied housing)Net Worth - all of one's assets minus all liabilitiesPoverty NationwideThreshold in 2007 for a family of four was $21,386In 2007 it was 12.5%Poverty Within and Outside CitiesPartly explain higher concentration of poverty in the cities by the greater number of foreign-born residentsIn New York City, one in five residents is poorUrban Social Class DiversityUrban life: tremendous human varietyUpper-Class Urban NeighborhoodsThe Uppe

Review from student

Studypool Student
" Thanks for the help. "
Ask your homework questions. Receive quality answers!

Type your question here (or upload an image)

1819 tutors are online

Brown University

1271 Tutors

California Institute of Technology

2131 Tutors

Carnegie Mellon University

982 Tutors

Columbia University

1256 Tutors

Dartmouth University

2113 Tutors

Emory University

2279 Tutors

Harvard University

599 Tutors

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

2319 Tutors

New York University

1645 Tutors

Notre Dam University

1911 Tutors

Oklahoma University

2122 Tutors

Pennsylvania State University

932 Tutors

Princeton University

1211 Tutors

Stanford University

983 Tutors

University of California

1282 Tutors

Oxford University

123 Tutors

Yale University

2325 Tutors